A Pickering firm run by a former minor hockey league goalie has emerged as the recommended winning bidder on the city’s controversial garbage out-sourcing deal, city hall sources have confirmed. An announcement is expected at a news conference scheduled for noon.... Read more »
House of Commons, October 17, 2011
Questiod Period - Oral Questions
Subject: The Environment
Ms. Megan Leslie (Halifax, NDP):
Mr. Speaker, RCEN is a network of 640 environmental organizations in Canada. For the past 30 years, the network has been facilitating and supporting the work of Environment Canada. Last May, Environment Canada confirmed that funding for the network's operations would be maintained. Confirmation of the funds was to follow. After months of waiting, the network learned on Friday that its funding would be cut. Why did the minister withdraw RCEN's funding?
... Read more »
A 34-year-old national environmental network that has served as a link between people and the federal government shut its doors Friday afternoon after Environment Canada cut its funding.
The Canadian Environmental Network was told Thursday that its funding from the federal government won't be renewed.
"It was a real kick in the pants," said Dan Casselman, the group's senior national caucus co-ordinator.
"If they'd given us some warning we might have had time to find money somewhere else."
The network acted as a link between 640 small environmental groups across the country and the federal government. In the past, if Ottawa needed advice on policies or new laws it would ask the network for input. The organization would then help the various smaller groups discuss issues and take part in formal consultations across the country.
... Read more »
An environmental umbrella group wants Ottawa to reverse a decision to pull its funding, though the government says the move is necessary during a time of fiscal restraint.
The Canadian Environmental Network (RCEN) received notice Thursday that it would not receive $547,000 in core funding that the government had previously said it intended to provide.
Olivier Kolmel, the chairman of the organization's board of directors, said Ottawa did not give any warning that it would cut off its funding next year.
"If we would have had warning and we had known several months ahead of time, we could plan for some kind of transitional model, to move on to a different financial model," Kolmel told CTVNews.ca in a telephone interview on Friday morning.
The RCEN has existed for more than three decades and includes more than 600 member organizations from across Canada.... Read more »
A scientist who specializes in environmental toxicology says Health Canada didn't go far enough with its warning this week about cellphone use for young people.
The agency encourages people under the age of 18 to limit the time they spend talking on a cellphone.
The agency's previous stance suggested that people could limit their cellphone use if they were concerned about an unproven suggestion the devices increase one's risk of developing brain cancer.
Magda Havas, a member of the Wireless Safety Council of Canada, said other sources of radio waves should also be limited.
Havas said she can't understand why Health Canada didn't advise people under the age of 18 to limit their use sooner.
Read the entire article at the link below.